We're Doing It Wrong by David Michael Slater

We're Doing It Wrong: 25 Ideas in Education That Just Don't Work—And How to Fix Them - David Michael Slater

TITLE:  We're Doing It Wrong: 25 Ideas in Education That Just Don't Work-And How to Fix Them

AUTHOR:  David Michael Slater

PUBLICATION DATE:   2018

FORMAT:  paperback

ISBN-13:  9781510725621

________________________________

DESCRIPTION:

"Please join the conversation at www.weredoingitwrong.com!

David Michael Slater’s We’re Doing It Wrong is a thought-provoking dissection of the issues plaguing American public schools. Each chapter identifies a major problem in the education system, exploring its roots and repercussions. A teacher himself, Slater opens up and gives readers an insider’s perspective on topics that have been at the center of ongoing debates as well as recent hot button issues, such as:
• Standardized testing
• Teacher evaluation practices
• Helicopter parents
• Class size
• Poverty’s effect on performance
• Anti-bullying programs
• Writing proficiency
• Curriculum goals
Slater explains why our current approaches simply aren’t working―for students, for teachers, for the colleges that these students may eventually attend, and for society at-large. Unafraid to ruffle a few feathers, We’re Doing It Wrong highlights defects in policy and theory, calls out administration, and questions long-held beliefs. Every chapter concludes with a suggestion for improvement, offering light at the end of the tunnel. Administrators, teachers, and concerned parents will come away with a better understanding of the current state of education and ideas for moving toward progress―for themselves and for the students they support."

______________________________________

The book contents are as described. The author doesn't cover everthing that is wrong with the current way schools (specifically USA schools) are run, but highlights some of the more fixable problems within the system.    The chapters are short, interesting and pertinent.  This is a book all school administrators and whoever else is fiddling in school policy needs to read.