Lost Connections by Johann Hari

Lost Connections: Uncovering the Real Causes of Depression – and the Unexpected Solutions - Johann Hari

TITLE: Lost Connections:  Uncovering the Real Causes of depression - and the Unexpected Solutions

AUTHOR:  Johann Hari

PUBLICATION DATE:  2018

FORMAT:  e-book

ISBN-13:  978-1-4088-7870-5
______________________________________

From the blurb:

"What really causes depression and anxiety – and how can we really solve them? Award-winning journalist Johann Hari suffered from depression since he was a child and started taking anti-depressants when he was a teenager. He was told that his problems were caused by a chemical imbalance in his brain. As an adult, trained in the social sciences, he began to investigate whether this was true – and he learned that almost everything we have been told about depression and anxiety is wrong.

Across the world, Hari found social scientists who were uncovering evidence that depression and anxiety are not caused by a chemical imbalance in our brains. In fact, they are largely caused by key problems with the way we live today. Hari´s journey took him from a mind-blowing series of experiments in Baltimore, to an Amish community in Indiana, to an uprising in Berlin. Once he had uncovered nine real causes of depression and anxiety, they led him to scientists who are discovering seven very different solutions – ones that work.

It is an epic journey that will change how we think about one of the biggest crises in our culture today."

This is an interesting and well researched book that examines the underlying causes of depression and anxiety, how to "fix" it and why drugs don't always work.  Some of what Hari writes is fairly obvious to most people, but it's nice to have everything in one place and analyzed like this. I did feel Hari didn't cover the biological causes for depression in enough detail - he completely left out hormones and environmental pollutants.  I am also not convinced psychologists/psychiatrists are as stupid as Hari makes out - so stupid that they don't realize life issues can effect your mood?  None the less, there are interesting, food-for-thought  topics covered in this book.

NOTE:  I just wish the author had kept his political views out of the book.  They weren't relevant.

RECOMMENDED BOOK ABOUT ENVIRONMENTAL POLLUTION & HUMAN HEALTH Our Stolen Future - Are We Threatening Our Fertility, Intelligence, And Survival? by Theo Colborn, Dianne Dumanoski, John Peterson Myers