The Sun's Heartbeat: And Other Stories from the Life of the Star That Powers Our Planet - Bob Berman Informative and entertaining in a somewhat frivolous manner*. Too bad there aren't any diagrams/ graphs/ illustrations/ coloured photographs etc.

*Selected quotes from The Sun's Heartbeat by Bob Berman:

" Atoms have substantial, chewy centers made of protons and neutrons stuck together by the most powerful force in the universe, which, in the great poetic tradition of physics, is officially called the strong force."

"As the first humans acquired tools and an appreciation of minimalist cave art, they turned their attention to improving their lives and understanding the cosmos. Homo erectus erected the first blazing fire 500 000 years ago. After burgers went from raw to medium-well, a truly long time elapsed before the next human milestone: the bun. The first planting of grains and other crops, which occurred just 12 000 years ago, ended our million-year low-carb diet and freed us from being hunters. No longer plagued by the frustration of trying to sneak up on animals with bigger ears and faster legs, humans started staying put. Our nomadic days were ending."